Blog 6: Practical Consideration
According to Christiansen & Townsend (2004), practical considerations are objects and tools that are necessary to be able to perform and engage in occupations. This is very important to take into consideration because if necessary precautions are not taken into account than the final outcome that is desired could lead to disaster.
I do shift work hence a work mate called me to ask if I could bring dessert over the weekend. A “potluck” dinner had been arranged for all staff working the afternoon shift. So the day before I decided to make pavlova to impress everyone at work because a few of them were really good cooks. I am very methodical when it comes to baking so I did my usual check to see if I had all the ingredients. I than made sure the kitchen was clean before I could start my baking. My flat mate had just arrived from work so I was multi-tasking by mixing the ingredients and catching up with her. Everything was going well and she decided to open a bottle of wine. I was in a happy mood because it was Friday, I was baking and now sharing a bottle of wine with my favorite flattie.
After several checks I realized that the pavlova was not turning out how I wanted it to. I was quite stressed and frustrated. I knew that I had all the right ingredients and that I had followed the recipe step by step. After an hour an a half the pavlova was not flat and not crispy. I was so disappointed and very confused. It was only when my flattie asked where the yolk for the eggs was….it was than I realized that I had used the entire egg instead of the egg white. That was the reason why the pavlova was not crispy because I did not take the practical consideration of using egg yoke in the ingredients (possibly due to alcohol). I did discuss this error with my sister who is convinced that I did not stir the mixture long enough which could be another practical consideration to take into account. I was distracted due several “logical” reasons while performing this task but in the end I just took in plain simple muffins as my contribution for “potluck”.
References:
Christiansen, C. & Townsend, E. (2004). Introduction to Occupation: The Art and Science of Living. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
had a little chuckle at this post. I have made pavlova a few times and made lots of mistakes with it but never this one... It is quite difficult. Well done for giving it a try.
ReplyDelete