Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blog 2 Ergonomics

Blog 2 Ergonomics:
In Week 36, we learnt about ergonomics and its relevance to our chosen activity.  

Caulton and Dickson (2007) define the understanding of ergonomics as the ability to “constantly make slight invisible adjustments to an activity to adapt to the needs of those taking part and ensure that it continues to work for its intended purpose”. 

This blog will consider how ergonomics is linked to my chosen activity which is baking.

Baking is a leisure pursuit I like to engage in during my spare time. Today I made the decision to make bread using a bread maker machine. I chose to use this modern gadget instead of traditional oven due to convenience. I also flat with four other people hence the kitchen is a communal area in the house. I had to be mindful of how long I spent on this activity without taking over the entire kitchen space. I felt confident making bread in the bread maker machine which I have used several times in the past. As is with either a dishwasher or a washing machine all I had to do was turn the machine on and expect similar result to baking in an oven. I realized after glimpsing in my pantry, I would have to travel to the supermarket to purchase yeast which is the key ingredient. Once I had the necessary ingredients, I mixed them all and into the machine they went ready to be consumed in 45-50 minutes. 

My understanding of ergonomics (relates to paragraph above) is that it is about the fit, match or mismatch and the connection between the person, occupation (activity performed) and environment. It also considers how little shifts or adaptations are made to link the person, occupation and environment together. I was financially capable to buy ingredients and bake bread in a bread maker machine which I was comfortable to utilize (person). I drove to the supermarket instead of walking to purchase the ingredients required and I was aware that using an oven was another way to baking bread (activity). I had to perform this activity without restricting my flat mates access into the kitchen (environment).

References:
Caulton, R.& Dickson, R. (2007).  What's going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In Creek, J., & Lawson- Porter, A. (Eds.) Contemporary issues in occupational therapy. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment